Welcome to Alan Arnette’s Everest 2013 coverage
My coverage is based on my own experiences, research, sources, and public information. I try to provide insight and interpretation of the activities ranging from routes to weather to the challenge of climbing Everest.
Latest Everest News – May 31, 2013
- A sincere and deep thank you to everyone who made a donation to one of the Alzheimer’s non-profits. That is why I do this.
- Very rough, unconfirmed estimates: Total at base camps: 415 westerners plus 625 Sherpas totaling 1040. 658 combined summits from both sides 63% summit to attempt rate. 8 total deaths.
- Start or stop email notifications of new posts using the form in the lower right corner of this page
- This page only list the 2013 team locations, click here for the daily 2013 coverage now ended
South Col Route (map)
Everest only TEAMS (clients/western guides)
29 teams, 315 climbers, 500+ Sherpas/Staff
|Adventure Consultants (10/4)||e||11/22|
|Adventures Global (5/0)||e||2/2|
|Alpine Ascents Int. (12/3)(4/1)||e||18/21|
|Asian Trekking Eco Teams (26/0)||e||14/21|
|Berg Adventures (3/0)||e||2/2|
|IMG Classic (25?/1?)||e||24/20|
|IMG Hybrid (8?/3?)||e||0/7|
|Jagged Globe (10/3)||e||13/11|
|Mountain Trip (3/1)||e||1/4|
|Peak Freaks (8/3)||e||6/8|
|Pune Indian (6)||e||3/?|
|Summit Climb (7/1)||e||7/5|
|Tim Mosedale (6/1)||e||4/4|
|USAF 7 Summits (6/0)||e||4/4|
|SOUTH TOTAL (est)||539|
Northeast Ridge Route (map)
TEAMS (clients/western guides)
10 teams, 100 climbers/125+ Sherpas/Staff
|Asian Trekking (5/0)||e||5/4|
|Adventure Peaks (9/2)||e||8/6|
|Altitude Junkies (10/1)||e||4/7|
|Kobler & Partner||e||6/9|
|Summit Climb (15/1)||e||11/12|
|7 Summits Club (13/4)||e||10/9|
|NORTH TOTAL (est)||119|
|e=climb ended, x=last reported location, x+ =on summit bid, -x =descending h=high sleep point, t=touched not slept. Summit number=client/Sherpa. Locations estimated from public website. Please refer to each expedition’s site for current information. Contact me to add/remove your team from my coverage.|
If you will forgive the self promotion, Outside Magazine posted in February 2013 an extensive interview with me where I talk abut my childhood, mountains, Everest and of course Alzheimer’s. I appreciate their interest and help. They even said I was “one of the world’s most respected chronicler of Everest”
If you receive value from my annual Everest coverage, please consider a donation to one of these Alzheimer’s nonprofits, 100% for Alzheimer’s, none for me. thank you. Click this link to understand my personal journey with this disease
8 Confirmed 2013 Everest deaths
- Mingma Sherpa, 47, from Lukla, working as Icefall Doctor slipped into crevasse in Western Cwm.
- DaRita Sherpa, 37, from Phortse working for IMG died from sudden cardiac or cerebral event at Camp 3. Family fund at this link
- Sergey Ponomarev climbing with 7 Summits Club died at Advanced Base Camp on the north side presumably of a heart attack.
- Lobsang Sherpa, 27,from Kharikhola working for Seven Summits Treks fell down Lhotse Face.
- Alexey Bolotov, 50, from Russia, has died from a fall. He was climbing with Denis Urubko on a new route on SW Face
- Namgyal Sherpa, 35, Kathmandu and Bangdel Khotang, died on North Side
- Sung Ho-Seo, 34, of South Korea was attempting the climb without supplementary oxygen and died on his way down the mountain.
- Mohammed Hossain, 35, from Bangladesh, died on the descent after summiting.