Site Update Notifications and Expedition Dispatches

This is home for site notifications and dispatches from Alan's expeditions plus updates on Memories are Everything Alzheimer's fund raising activities. Alzheimer's is a devastating disease and the true cause of the disease is unknown. Researchers are making great progress but more is needed. And there is hope.

I have partnered with the Alzheimer's Association, the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. Their mission is to eliminate Alzheimer's disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.

100% of your donations go directly to Alzheimer's issues. None go to Alan's climbing expenses. I encourage you to read more about this excellent organization and make your tax deductible donation today.

Please Donate Today
Memories are Everything

« Nepal to Limit South Side Climbers from May 1-10 | Main | Dreaming of Ladders - Return to the South »

Cruical Week for Everest 2008

shiapangma (322).JPGThis week we will probably get a decision if our Everest climb will take place. The situation for the north side has deteriorated with the violence in Lhasa and neighboring provinces. My thoughts are with the Tibetan people. As of today, Tibet is closed to all foreigners.

While very difficult, it would not be impossible to still make a summit bid arriving at the North Base Camp after May 10th as shown by the Altitude Everest team last year. They arrived at BC around May 10th and summited on June 14th but they were very lucky with good weather in 2007. They were also very, very strong climbers and leveraged the logistics of Himex and their ropes. So while not impossible, it would be very hard for "normal" climbers like me.

As I posted last week, it is not clear if teams on the South will be allowed above Base Camp before May 10th. A decision will be made this week. The normal acclimatization schedule calls for at least one night at 7000m or Camp 3 on the Lhotse Face. While there are other mountains we could acclimatization on, it makes the logistics more complex.

PA210079.jpgPumori, (23494 ft /7161 m) is next to the South Base Camp but is very avalanche prone and would not be my choice. Ama Dablam (22467 ft /6848 m), down valley from BC would be another option.

What is also unknown is how crowded the mountain will be. I hear of many cancellations.

I am deeply saddened by what has happened this year. I hope we get the opportunity to climb not only for our goals but more to show support to the many hard working and gentle people in the area. The average Nepali makes only $1100 a year and depends heavily on the climbers and trekkers to make ends meet. Tibetans have it worse.

Ours and other expedition leaders continue to work with the authorities to reach a compromise. Sports and politics have been intermingled since the Roman games. Sadly it is often not the athlete that gets eaten by the lion but the bystander.

I continue to train but have not packed.

Climb On!


Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

This page contains a single entry from the expedition posted on March 17, 2008 4:44 AM.

The previous post from this expedition was Nepal to Limit South Side Climbers from May 1-10.

The next post from this expedition is Dreaming of Ladders - Return to the South.

Many more posts and VIDEOS can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Recent Posts