Welcome to Alan Arnette’s Everest 2013 coverage
My coverage is based on my own experiences, research, sources, and public information. I try to provide insight and interpretation of the activities ranging from routes to weather to the challenge of climbing Everest.
Latest Everest News – May 17/18, 2013
- David Liano summits from North, last week summited from South. 1st person to ever do this.
- Summits are starting to roll in from Jagged Globe and Peak Freaks reporting the top at 5:29 AM Sunday May 19
- Mike Roberts and Tendi Sherpa, Adventure Consultants, have summited very early 1:30AM, usual is 5-9AM
- 120 are behind them
- Follow a Peak Freaks Everest summit live via SPOT tracker at bit.ly/10EKSoF
- Also Dan Hughes with Jagged Globe at http://bit.ly/13xfOJb
- Successful summits on Nuptse by 5 Western Climbers and 4 Sherpa team from Himex
- Himex leave EBC looking at May 23rd summit
South Col Route (map)
Everest only TEAMS (clients/western guides)
29 teams, 315 climbers, 500+ Sherpas/Staff
|Adventure Consultants (10/4)||X+||T||1/2|
|Adventures Global (5/0)||X+||H||1/1|
|Alpine Ascents Int. (12/3)||-X||X+||12/14|
|Asian Trekking Eco Teams (10/0) (10/0)||X+||1/3|
|Berg Adventures (3/0)||e||2/2|
|IMG Classic (14?/1?)||X+||X+||/2|
|IMG Hybrid (8?/2?)||-X||4/7|
|Jagged Globe (10/2)||X+|
|Mountain Trip (3/1)||X+||H|
|Peak Freaks (8/3)||X+|
|Pune Indian (6)||e||3/?|
|Summit Climb (6/1)||X+|
|Tim Mosedale (6/1)||X||2/2|
|USAF 7 Summits||X+|
|SOUTH TOTAL (est)||83|
Northeast Ridge Route (map)
TEAMS (clients/western guides)
10 teams, 100 climbers/125+ Sherpas/Staff
|Asian Trekking (5/0)||X+||X+||X+||1/1|
|Adventure Peaks (9/2)||X+||H|
|Altitude Junkies (10/1)||X+|
|Kobler & Partner||X+||H|
|Summit Climb (15/1)||X+||H|
|7 Summits Club (13/4)||X+||X+||X+|
|NORTH TOTAL (est)||22|
|e=climb ended, x=last reported location, x+ =on summit bid, -x =descending h=high sleep point, t=touched not slept. Summit number=client/Sherpa. Locations estimated from public website. Please refer to each expedition’s site for current information. Contact me to add/remove your team from my coverage.|
- See the legend just above this line for the table symbols – X, H, T
- This page only list the 2013 team locations, click here for the daily 2013 coverage.
- If you have a general Everest question, please post it as a comment on this page and I will try to address it.
- Start or stop email notifications of new posts using the form in the lower right corner of this page.
If you will forgive the self promotion, Outside Magazine posted in February 2013 an extensive interview with me where I talk abut my childhood, mountains, Everest and of course Alzheimer’s. I appreciate their interest and help. They even said I was “one of the world’s most respected chronicler of Everest”
If you receive value from my annual Everest coverage, please consider a donation to one of these Alzheimer’s nonprofits, 100% for Alzheimer’s, none for me. thank you. Click this link to understand my personal journey with this disease
6 Confirmed 2013 deaths
- Mingma Sherpa, 47, from Lukla, working as Icefall Doctor slipped into crevasse in Western Cwm.
- DaRita Sherpa, 37, from Phortse working for IMG died from sudden cardiac or cerebral event at Camp 3. Family fund at this link
- Sergey Ponomarev climbing with 7 Summits Club died at Advanced Base Camp on the north side presumably of a heart attack.
- Lobsang Sherpa, 27,from Kharikhola working for Seven Summits Treks fell down Lhotse Face.
- Alexey Bolotov, 50, from Russia, has died from a fall. He was climbing with Denis Urubko on a new route on SW Face
- Namgyal Sherpa, 35, Kathmandu and Bangdel Khotang, died on North Side