As the season winds down, there are a few teams that choose to wait out the winds and the crowds. We have summits on the Tibet side Friday morning, May 24. Amazingly, there are a few teams still waiting for early next week.
UPDATE: Another death: Tibet side 360 Expeditions: Kevin Hynes, 56, Irish died at North Col after turning back at 8300m. He had previously summited Everest Nepal and Lhotse. Also on the Tibet side with Kobler & Partner, Ernst Langrast, died near 8600-meters after summiting. Dhruba Bista, died a EBC after evacuation from C3. He was with Himalayan Ski Treks. Now confirmed, Nihal Bagwan: Indian, died near the South Col. He was with Peak Promotion. On Makalu, Nima Tshering Sherpa, died at C2 after summiting. He was working for Seven Summits Treks.
Wave 6 Summary – 20+ Summits
Tibet: 40+ Summits
- Furtenbach Adventures: got their team on the summit on the Tibet side Friday morning May 24:
- All members from our Classic team just summited this morning, again 100% success. Congratulations and a safe descent! We post here when everyone is safe down in ABC.
- Alpenglow also made summit on the Tibet side:
- Our Rapid Ascent Team has just reached the summit of Everest! The team is led by @chadpeele @carla.perez.ec and is 5 climbers strong including @carolinegleich and @rob.lea. The team scored a great weather window with sunny skies and 10km winds (but cold!) They summited at 7:05am local time and spent 10 minutes on the summit. Congratulations team! Get down safely for a well-deserved celebration and a good rest!”
- 7 Summits Club had their second team summit. No info on how many.
- Adventure Peaks also saw summits over a couple of days: 5 members/5 Sherpas
Georgios reached the summit yesterday with Dawa climbing directly from 7800m and missing out the top camp. They are now back at ABC. The rest of the team moved up to the top camp on the 23rd May and set out for their summit bid last night at 20:30hrs local time. With a monumental effort Nick reached 8500m and decided to head down with Persemba. They are now at ABC. Di, Kirsty, Paula and the rest of the Sherpas pushed on up reaching the summit at 05:00hrs this morning. After a very long descent they are now at the North Col tired, but ecstatic. They will descend to ABC tomorrow and back to BC the day after that. A big well done to all from the AP team in very challenging conditions.
On Makalu, Nirmal Purja Purja Purja MBE: “Project Possible – 14/7” now has six 8000ers with Annapurna in late April then Dhaulagiri, Kangchenjunga then Everest and Lhotse now Makalu.
Five New Deaths
- Himalayan Ski Treks, Everest: Dhruba Bista, died a EBC after evacuation from C3
- Seven Summits Treks, Makalu: Nima Tshering Sherpa, died after summiting at C2
- 360 Expeditions, Everest: Kevin Hynes, 56, Irish died at North Col after turning back at 8300m. He had previously summited Everest South and Lhotse.
- Peak Promotion, Everest: Nihal Bagwan: Indian, near the South Col
- Kobler & Partner, Everest: Ernst Langrast, died near 8600-meters after summiting
I do my best to track the teams I can during the summit push but don’t have direct communication with any of them or know the status of any individual. You can see what I am seeing on the tracker table.
Memories are Everything!