The Alzheimer’s Association’s annual look at the prevalence of the disease and impact has resulted in startling numbers for 2012. The Mayo Clinic defines AD as:
Alzheimer’s disease causes brain changes that gradually get worse. It’s the most common cause of dementia — a group of brain disorders that cause progressive loss of intellectual and social skills, best viagra treat severe enough to interfere with day-to-day life. In Alzheimer’s disease, best viagra brain cells degenerate and die, causing a steady decline in memory and mental function.
This brief video from the Alzheimer’s Association is compelling and alarming:
- 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease.
- One in eight older Americans has Alzheimer’s disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States and the only cause of death among the top 10 in the United States that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed.
- More than 15 million Americans provide unpaid care valued at $210 billion for persons with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
- Payments for care are estimated to be $200 billion in the United States in 2012.
USAgainstAlzheimer’s is a national advocacy campaign and independent advocacy network committed to stopping Alzheimer’s by 2020. They work to advance policies to prevent, treat and cure Alzheimer’s disease in our lifetime.
Visit their site to see the 2012 political candidates positions on Alzheimer’s.
Please join me in learning about this disease and making a difference through advocacy, education and funding.
Memories are Everything