Click for site home
The Blog on alanarnette.com
Climbing the World to End Alzheimer's
Feb 072021
 
Winter K2 Update: Summit Push Update #8

Latest as of 3.30 am, Monday, February 8, 2021, – K2 Time: John Snorri, Ali Sadpara, and Juan Pablo (JP) Mohr Prieto remain missing with no trace. We are learning more about what happened at the Bottleneck directly from Ali’s son, Sajid. Of note he said he and his father were climbing without supplemental oxygen but had a bottle in their pack for emergencies. Also when he left the three, they had no radio or sat phone. He felt they summited and had an accident on the descent in the Bottleneck, but he is not sure. In this post, timeline of the season and events.

Feb 052021
 
Winter K2 Update: Summit Push Update #6

Latest as of 10:30 am, February 6, 2021.

First it’s reported that Sajid Ali Sadpara is descending from Camp 3. That Pemba Sherpa who was with Noel Hanna stayed at Camp 1 and will help him down. Also that a Pakistani military helicopter will take sherpas high on K2, exact height unknown, to launch a search party for the missing three.

They left Camp 3 for their summit push almost 30 hours earlier. They were last seen over 15 hours ago. It’s 3 am Saturday morning, February 6, 2021. The first rays of dawn will hit the shoulder in about three hours. Note that none of the GPS trackers seem to be working anymore. I assume their batteries have run out, perhaps also for their headlamps and even radios. Computer generated weather forecast have the summit temps at -42F/-41C with a wind chill at -80F/-62C.

Feb 052021
 
Winter K2 Update: Summit Push Update #5

Upfront, there is no 100% confirmed news about: John Snorri, Ali Sadpara, and Juan Pablo (JP) Mohr Prieto. JP was climbing without supplemental oxygen. There is no conformation if they summited, their current status or plans. I’ll update when I have 100% confident news.

They left Camp 3 for their summit push almost 30 hours earlier. They were last seen over 15 hours ago. It’s 3 am Saturday morning, February 6, 2021. The first rays of dawn will hit the shoulder in about three hours. Note that none of the GPS trackers seem to be working anymore. I assume their batteries have run out, perhaps also for their headlamps and even radios. Computer generated weather forecast have the summit temps at -42F/-41C with a wind chill at -80F/-62C.

Feb 042021
 
Winter K2 Update: Summit Push Update #2

The “Fog of Climbing” Sometimes getting precise information is difficult. John Snorri’s wife now tells me John is nearing the summit and is at 8100-meters, only 500-meters from the summit. However, she is going off the data from the tracker. His GPS track is crisscrossing above Camp 3. This happens occasionally with these trackers. We do know for sure several climbers have turned back and other seem to be not moving from Camp 3. The “fog” should clear in a few hours