Climbing big mountains is just like life – you don’t always get ask for – or is that a song lyric?
In any case, I write this from High Camp at 17,200′ on Denali. Along with David, Byron and Martin, we are in various forms of consciousness listening to the wind beat the tent along with a steady snow fall. The other 9 members are in tents nearby. We were supposed to be on our summit bid right now.
The weather forecast took a bad turn and now a low pressure system is predicted to dominate our area at least through Wednesday, July 13th. Thus the first opportunity for our summit push is now Thursday.
We were prepared for this. We have plenty of food and fuel and have enough time in our schedule with our last summit day being July 17 before we need to start heading down.
However, we were prefer to be climbing, not waiting.
Attached is a picture of our camp with Denali Pass in the background – the low saddle on the skyline. It is 18,500′; half of the altitude gain to the summit of 20,320′.
Our summit day will be long, from 12 to 16 hours roundtrip. We will leave between 9:00AM and noon to avoid to coldest temperatures which can reach -30F. If it is the least bit windy, the wind-chill drops dramatically and frostbite can be a genuine risk.
I will activate my SPOT tracker when we leave High Camp and it will transmit our location every 10 minutes throughout the summit climb and back. Use the “Where’s Alan tab” on this page to see the map.
So we wait for improved conditions. The keyword is patience and the focus is maintaining a positive attitude. Be assured back home everyone is safe and as comfortable as we can be.
While we wait, I might suggest this is a great time to learn more about Alzheimer’s Disease. Use the links on this page or visit our campaign site at www.climb4ad.com
OK, this is all for now. The next time you go outside, blow north! Now, how did that song go!
Memories are Everything